The judges selected for the agile edition of 5StarWines & Wine Without Walls 2020 are an integral part of the digital transformation of the event that has been set up so as to ensure:
- a diverse group of professional judges from all over the world,
- a blind tasting method for the selection, and
- the objectivity of the selection.
All wines submitted to 5StarWines & Wine Without Walls will be tasted by a jury composed of international experts. This highly qualified group has been assembled from among Masters of Wine, Masters of Sommelier, WSET graduates, VIA experts and ambassadors, enologists, and journalists.
The diversity of judges, the variety in judges’ professional backgrounds, and the blind tasting method employed all combine to guarantee the objectivity of the selection.
- Ship bottles stripped of identifiers to a panel of international judges.
- Chosen judges access a WebApp to rate their assigned wines following tasting guidelines prescribed by event rules and regulations.
- Judges refer to a provided handbook within which they’ll find explicit instructions for assigning scores to “anonymous” wines and for using the associated application.
- Judges communicate with each other and with the General Chairman using video conferencing and/or VOIP software.
- In order to guarantee adherence to selection rules and regulations, and to preserve the objectivity of the tasting, each judge must faithfully observe the aforementioned handbook.
- The General Chairman will have the final say as to whether or not any wine merits a score greater than or equal to 90/100.